October 1, 2012

Author Interview: Venessa Kimball

Please welcome to Feed My Need, the lovely author, Venessa Kimball!

When and why did you begin writing? 

I wrote throughout my adolescent years and well into college.  I enjoyed creating different places, times, and characters.  I stopped for a while when I became a teacher, held a career,  and started having children.  I always want
ed to go back to writing. I just didn't have the down time.  So, I became an avid reader over those non-writing years.  I was heavily active in book clubs.  I devoured them!  

My children started becoming less dependent on mom and I started having more time on my hands in 2010.  By this point, I was bursting at the seams with this one particular storyline that kept playing out like a movie in my head.  It was a perfect opportunity for me to go for it and start writing my first novel, Piercing the Fold: Book 1. 


What was the hardest part of writing your book? What is the easiest? 

The hardest part was that I had never written a novel. I had written short stories and poems. But, never a novel.  I had to Google like crazy to figure out how I was going to lay out this story in my head on paper.  2 composition notebooks and a year later…I had the story on paper.  Then the typing began.  Yes, I did the first entire book in composition notebooks.  Long process, but amazing!  

The easiest part was the story and the characters. They were already there in my head.  I just had to listen to them!  

What music do you listen to while you write?  


I set up a playlist before I start writing.  I actually have a place on my website that gives you the Spotify playlist for  Piercing the Fold Book 1.  visit www.VenessaKimball.net to listen!  The ones that stand out immediately are Silversun Pickups, Muse, Paramore, Radiohead, Bob Marley, the Beatles, Nirvana, Morissey, Florence + the Machine, Fleetwood Mac, Howls, The Church, No Doubt, Placebo, Pixies. 

What inspires you?  

I am an observer.  I take in everything around me.  I let in emotions, the environment, people around me.    I'm really open like that. Sometimes I feel like I'm a sponge.  Then, from those observations I put my "what if" spin on it!  Music….it is a must for me when I'm writing!  Add in an amazing playlist and the creative juices start flowing!

Do you have any hidden talents? 

Hmm.  None that I can think of. 

What are your current projects? 

I am currently working on the second installment of the Piercing the Fold series, Surfacing the Rim Book 2.   StR will be released March 2013.  The third installment (Title not announced yet) will be released July 2013.

What book are you reading now? 

I am banning myself from reading any books right now.  I am really diving in with Surfacing the Rim.  I'm getting into some heavier character interaction. So, I have to have complete attention on Book 2.  However, I have a must read list that is growing daily. As soon as StR is drafted I will indulge for a couple of weeks.  My must read list right now is Beautiful Creatures- series, Angelfall, Dark House- An Experiment in Terror series.

Quick: Vampires or Shapeshifter? Why? 

Shapeshifters.  Because of the unknown and building suspense of what the shift will create.  There is a bit of shifting in PtF. 

Do you have any advice for other writers?  

Have a plan and a goal for every aspect of your writing.  You are your true, sole, motivator.  Keep yourself accountable…And, if you are blessed to have some great friends that would love to be a beta reader for your books, take them up on it- they will help keep you accountable too and give you some great insight! 

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? 


I hope you enjoy getting  lost in the reality that the Piercing the Fold series  presents.  Every time I start a book as a reader, I get giddy because I know I'm about to disappear into a different  place. And into another persons reality.  I hope this for Piercing the Fold readers! 


Such is life, Jesca Gershon-Sera does not see this coming. 

Life is pretty normal for Jesca in Marrieta, Georgia. She is a sophomore at Southern Polytechnic State University and holds a part-time job at a local bookstore. Her life is predictable and comfortable; nothing out of the ordinary. Until, Jesca begins experiencing reoccurring childhood nightmares. The terrors take on a stronger meaning, when dark looming auras, distorted beings, and her unnatural physical and mental abilities begin to seep out of the dream realm and into her real world. Jesca begins to question her sanity as these terrors increase and flood her reality. 

At the peak of her mental breaking point, Jesca has multiple coincidental encounters with her professor, Ezra Kahn. Jesca is blind-sided as Ezra exposes how these terrors are part of a reality in our world set askew and that Jesca must claim her role in a battle to protect humanity from eminent catastrophe. 

Jesca begins her quest discovering herself, her inevitable purpose, and the undeniable truth that she is part of humanity’s salvation whether she is ready or not. 

Piercing the Fold: Book 1 brings forth “smart” science fiction reflecting on real scientific and spiritual endeavors of our time. Artfully intermingling science fiction, the paranormal, romance, and thrilling suspense leaving the readers questioning where Jesca’s journey will take them next. Older Teen/ New Adult Fiction. Book 1 in series.

No comments:

Post a Comment