March 26, 2012

Author Interview: Kristine Cayne

Please welcome A Three Way Tie, the author of Deadly Obsession, Kristine Cayne!
When and why did you begin writing?

I began writing when I was in grade school. I enjoyed the opportunity to put myself in someone else’s shoes and explore different lives. But I didn’t begin to write seriously until several years after having had my second child. I fell in love with romantic suspense and took some writing classes at a local community college. After that, characters shouted at me, scenes played out in my mind, and I had to write the story developing in my head.


What was the hardest part of writing your book? What is the easiest?

The easiest part of writing for me is coming up with the story concept and the characters. They just appear in my mind. Once I have a handle on the idea, I brainstorm the plot with my plotting group and go from there.


The hardest part is to go from the idea to the actual writing. I worry that my idea is bad, my technique crap. But it isn’t. Many writers experience this to some extent. The cure? Write. Then revise and edit. The key is to getting the story on the page, and fix it after.


What music do you listen to while you write?

When I was writing Deadly Obsession, I had a playlist to put me in “stalker mode.” I also had a playlist of music from Nic’s ringtones (you’ll have to read the book to know what I mean J ). Here are the links to the playlists on YouTube: Here are the links: Deadly Obsession – Stalker-Themed Songs (here), Deadly Obsession – Ringtones and other Songs from the Book (here).


What inspires you?

The story concepts often stem from current events, things I read about in the news. The characters seem to pop into my head as likely people to be engaged in the story. For example, in Deadly Obsession, I knew the hero had to be a movie star. But what made him different from the others? Why was his story special? I usually develop a good feel for what they look like in my mind, and then I try to find photos of actors or models that match.


Do you have any hidden talents?

Good question!

Deadly Obsession (Deadly Vices Book 1 on Amazon 

What are your current projects?

I’m currently revising Deadly Addiction, book two in the series. Book three, Deadly Betrayal, is still in the plotting stage. On the side, I’m writing two short stories for different anthologies to come out in February and April.


What book are you reading now?


Since part of Deadly Betrayal takes place in Afghanistan, I’m reading A Woman Among Warlords by Malalai Joya, the story of a young female political activist and her experiences in dealing with the tribal warlords.


8. Quick: Vampires or Shapeshifter? Why?


Shapeshifter. After all, if I want to be bitten, my shapeshifter can shift into a vampire.


9. Do you have any advice for other writers?


Write as much as you can, and learn as much as you can. You can’t become a great writer without practice, and you can’t learn everything about writing on your own. Writers organizations are great resources to keep you learning and writing.
10. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?


I love chatting with readers! Feel free to friend/fan/follow me:


My blog
My website
My Facebook page
My Goodreads author page
My Twitter handle
My New Releases mailing list


Deadly Obsession (Deadly Vices Book 1 on Amazon 
When an Oscar-winning movie star meets a department-store photographer…

Movie star Nic Lamoureux appears to have a playboy’s perfect life. But it’s a part he plays, an act designed to conceal a dark secret he carries on his shoulders. His empty days and nights are a meaningless blur until he meets the woman who fulfills all his dreams. She and her son are the family he’s always wanted—if she can forgive a horrible mistake from his past. 

A Hollywood dream…

Lauren James, a widowed single mother, earns barely enough money to support herself and her son. When she wins a photography contest and meets Nic, the man who stars in all her fantasies, her dreams, both professional and personal, are on the verge of becoming real. The attraction between Lauren and Nic is instant—and mutual. Their chemistry burns out of control during a photo shoot that could put Lauren on the fast track to a lucrative career. 

Becomes a Hollywood nightmare

But an ill-advised kiss makes front-page news, and the lurid headlines threaten everything Nic and Lauren have hoped for. Before they know what’s happening, their relationship is further rocked by an obsessed and cunning stalker who’ll stop at nothing—not even murder—to have Nic to herself. When Nic falls for Lauren, the stalker zeroes in on her as the competition. 

And the competition must be eliminated.

Deadly Obsession is available at the following online retailers:


Amazon ebook
Amazon print 

4 comments:

  1. Great Great Interview! I loved Deadly Obsession :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kayla! I love your enthusiasm and support. Thank you for commenting :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. L, you give some great interviews. I also wanted to let you know that I've tagged you in a meme on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kayla, Kristine, and Liz! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

    @Kayla-I'm glad you're a fan of the interview and the books by the author. :)

    @Kristine-Thanks for responding for me, lol! :D And I'm glad that you have a fan out here supporting you!

    @G- Thanks girl! Glad to see you sticking around! :) Btw, did you get my last newsletter? I think I sent it, but double check. Anyway, thanks for stopping by once again! :)

    ReplyDelete