November 14, 2011

Author Interview: E.S. Lark

Please welcome to A Three Way Tie, E.S. Lark! The wonderful fantasy self-published author of The Waking Grove and Trueblood's Plight.


When and why did you begin writing?

I began writing religiously during High School. At that time, I’d written the same story four times, slowly adding details as I went. By 12th grade, the book I had been working on since 7th grade was well over 160,000 words long.


What was the hardest part of writing your book? What is the easiest?

The hardest part when it comes to writing is getting everything to read smoothly. The plot itself usually comes as I’m writing a story. The easiest part is probably doing the formatting for ebooks and print. It’s just time consuming.


What music do you listen to while you write?

I prefer soundtracks over anything else. These include things such as Avatar, Titanic, Narnia and The Rock.



What inspires you?

Everything to be honest. I cannot really pinpoint just one author or one thing that inspires me. If I had to take a guess, I’d have to say my dreams inspire me. I’m an avid dreamer and many of my story ideas have come from those dreams.


Do you have any hidden talents?

Not that I know of. I can curl my tongue, but I wouldn’t say that’s a hidden talent.


What are your current projects?

I’m currently working on the sequel to Trueblood’s Plight. I’m about 26,000 words in and have about another 30,000 words to go.


What book are you reading now?

Shiver (sort of). Very few books catch me enough for me to read them in a single sitting. I read Shiver when I’m doing laundry.


Quick: Vampires or Shapeshifter?

Shapeshifter. Why? Because they can be whatever you want them to be.


Do you have any advice for other writers?

There are times when you’ll feel what you’re writing sounds like crap. Trust me, I still go through this. But ignore those feelings. The most important thing to do on your first draft is to finish it. Even if you never publish, you need to finish your book, otherwise you’ll end up wondering ‘what if.’ Save the editing for later. I know it’s hard to turn off the internal editor, so do what I do. Wrap them with chains and throw them in a trunk at the bottom of the ocean.


Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

I’m not perfect. I try to catch as many typos as I can along with my beta readers and editors, but sometimes the typos leak through. I welcome criticism and appreciate the errors my readers might catch. I haven’t gotten any feedback like this yet, but I’m open to my readers. I write because it’s my passion and feel I’ll die if I cannot share my worlds.







What to know more about her books and about her? Then check out her website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment