July 22, 2011

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick



Blurb:
For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch came along.
 
With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment.
But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.
 
For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.

My Thoughts:

Okay, just finished this novel and for people who have been faithfully paying attention to my blog, you know that I just bought this book for the wonderful price at BAM (Books A Million) for 3.97. :)

And you know how I love bargains right? So I snatched it up and read it.

Omg, you know how fast I read this book? 1 day and a half (which is why, if you're wondering, it wasn't posted under currently reading).

I think we can end the book review right here on that note.

For me to read a book THAT fast is definitely a good thing. I even stayed up late last night KNOWING I had to work tomorrow but I continued to read it anyway. I couldn't put it down once I picked it up. It was that great. And that incredible. And that riveting. And that fascinating.

But at first I was hesitant. Why? Because of the Twilight similarities. You know, the lab partner thing. The whole monster falling in love with the human thing. But Becca Fitzpatrick flipped it. In a very very good way. I kinda loved what she did to the main character Patch and Nora.

Even though in the back of my brain Nora reminds me of Nora Roberts. Got any fans of Nora Roberts out there?!

*peanut gallery shouts and waves hands in the air*

Yeah, that was the drawback with the name. Then I was like, "Who names their kid Patch?" But later in the story you find out why and it's interesting. And it proves to be . . . Well, I don't want to ruin the great story here. All I have to say is I loved it.

There was the whole possession thing though that made me instinctively tense up. I just never liked that idea and Nora defintely agreed with me on the icky feeling about possession. So Idk about that whole thing.

Let's see, I guess I should go over the basics about what made this book great huh? Let's break it down then.

Characters: Believable and indentifiable. I could definitely relate to Nora (since she reminded me of, now that I think about it, a lot of characters who are shy about their height and stuff. Meg Cabot's Mia comes to mind. Princess Diaries series. Ring any bells? It became a movie? Anyway) about her control and her intial reaction to Patch. I wanted to smack him myself and yet I was still wanted to see him more. So there was the whole smack but love jerkiness that I liked about him. Because he defintely comes off like a jerk in the beginning.

I actually laughed out loud at the EBA (Employee Break Area) while reading this book. I didn't even care if people looked at it. It was that funny. I gasped out loud too at some of things he said and did. I know people were probably looking at me crazy then. Gasping and laughing. :P What can I say? It was good and funny. And no, I'm not telling you why I did those things. You've got to read the book.

Setting: Never been to Maine in my life but I know it's flipping cold and I heard that strange things happen up there. So interesting location. And the author does travel a bit to Portland and to France. Not telling you why though. *tongue in cheek* But I will say, I loved the fact that we got to travel around a bit.

*nudges newbie authors* See? Another place where it's not in a major city! Take the hint! Don't put your characters in major cities. Put them . . . Well, put them where you feel comfortable. Where you've been. Or do your research. I'm pretty sure Stephenie Meyer did and that's why she picked the place she did. Hmm. Anyway, moving on . . .

Dialogue: It was electric. And not corny, like in Shiver. I'm sorry but she could take some notes. This is what a guy sounds like. Come on, take your pen out and take some notes. Also the interactions between them were believable, Nora and Patch. Woah, almost called him Seth. :P Idk why. Maybe it's the whole Goth vibe I got from him. Anyway, great dialogue. Even the final scene sounded believable.

You know how some authors make the bad guy sound all pompous and arrogant and totally not human? Well, she made him sound human and logical and well, like I could identify with him. And his reactions too. So . . . Yeah. Scored points for me on that one. That's how I want my bad guys to sound.

Actually, as another side note to future authors/wanna-be wirters/writers I've actually learned a lot about how arrogant guys sound. I have one in my book, Iwishacana/Acanwishi, named Florence. And do you think I took notes?!

Let me give you a clue: HECK YES!

I've always had problems with his character and now I'm going to go back and see what I can to make my character sound better. Not like Fitzpatrick's but still as believable as hers. So yes, I'm taking notes and I'm going to look over my character and his dialogue. I need to tighten it up some more. Anyway . . .

Plot: I was defintely, once again, sitting on the edge of my seat. I was riveted. Completely. Becca Fitzpatrick had my attention from the word go. Almost. The prologue was a little ehh but I got into it once I figured out what the heck was going on. Then of course the first chapter was dynamite. :)

And yes, you guessed it: My lips are sealed. You HAVE to read this book.

And trust me, you can thank me later. I know you will.

Ending: This is where I get a little shaky. I like the ending. I like how everything fits into a perfect puzzle piece BUT (and there is a huge BUT) I just didn't feel quite right about it. Idk. Tell me what you think.

I'm NOT saying the ending sucked. It was the perfect ending. I guess, I just wanted something different. And I didn't predict it but Idk. Just something kinda irritating me about the ending. Feminism and all that. Maybe she didn't have a choice, but Idk. I just liked it and not loved it.

You know how in The Knife of Letting Go I said THAT was the perfect ending. This book I think could have had a better ending. I really think so, but that's just me. The hopeless romantic.

And no, I ain't telling you the ending. Excuse the ain't there. My African American language/Black Ebonics busted out there. :) Now you really know that I'm not telling you.

Anyway, last question of the morning: Would I recommend this book?

Yes, if you loved Twilight and cried when it ended. Yes, if you like angels. *wiggles eyebrows* Idk if you're super religious because I think Becca Fitzpatrick blurred some religious lines. It didn't offend me, but I was like, "That's NOT what happened!! Liar!" Not that I was mad. It was just like, "Um no. That's not what happened." You know the whole Adam and Eve thing? Well, she flips it.

And I'm not saying anything else about it. Something about the whole religious thing kinda irritated me. Not that I would stop reading but at the same time, my antennas went up. I should've known when it included angels and stuff that some religion was going to be pulled into it somehow.

Anyway, veering way off topic (as usual), um, would I recommend this to people who love reading a good suspense? Heck yeah. There was a lot of suspense. A lot. It killed me not knowing but I also loved the fact of how she so expertly piled it on. Leading and jerking me in the wrong and right direction. It thrilled and killed me at the same time.

Would I recommend this to anyone who had a pulse? No, why? Because there are some dark things in this book that I wouldn't recommend to a younger audience. And to me there are a lot of sexual innuedos that seem a little grown up for a fourteen year old. But who's to say?

If I had a daughter at fourteen, I wouldn't want her reading it. Even though nothing really happens, I still would be cautious. If you're a parent, I would read over it first before handing it over. Just my feeling. Or maybe it would be time to have that talk. Especially since a lot of books have sex in them that are geared toward the younger audience.

Oh, sorry, veering off into a hot topic there. Anyway main point: Excellent book, that I wouldn't give to the younger crowd. I'd say 16 and up would be a great age bracket. Maybe 15 if they're mature and can handle it.

Enjoy it. Love it. Thank me later.

Or better yet, tell me what you thought of it in my comment box. I promise I'll read it. Ooh, shoot before I forget.

Crescendo [Book]

There's a sequel. Once again, I'm perplexed as to how and why there's a sequel. *gives an eyebrow to the author* but yeah. I think I know why this book was so cheap. To get you hooked on the series! Gosh darn it! Fall for it every time. Another cheap book that's in a series. And today is pay day too.

Hmm. :) Maybe time to go back to BAM.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read this book because of the biology partner thing and other similarities with Twilight, but I'm definitely adding it to my TBR! :)

    I'm a new follower from Book Blogs
    Stop by my blog whenever
    http://writtenmusings93.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey A. Santiago! Thanks for stopping by for a comment and to follow my blog! :)

    I was hesistant because of the Twilight connection too, but when I read it, Twilight was the furthest thing from my mind. Patch is NOTHING like Edward. I would say the complete opposite actually. And of course, Nora isn't like Bella but they are similar in the awkward shy way. So yeah. I wouldn't worry too much about the Twilight remake feeling. I didn't get it at all.

    I'll try to stop by your blog and check it out. It seems pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete